What is the mentality that leads to people becoming billionaires? What are they doing differently that allows them to become successful? According to a video titled, The “1 Billion Dollar Morning Routine” by Jim Kwik, it all starts in the morning with setting a positive tone for your day.
This video (which you can find embedded below), was released in collaboration with the “Be Inspired” channel on Youtube in early 2019.
While this particular morning routine doesn’t seem like it would fit everyone’s lifestyle, I researched the daily routine of a few different billionaires and added them below. They seem to all have a few similar actionable attributes which I will expand my thoughts on in the conclusion.
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links, but at no additional cost to you. For my full disclosure policy, click here.
1 Billion Dollar Morning Routine
John Kwik’s 1 billion dollar morning routine list is based on having self-care, self-love, and setting a vision and direction for the day. He says that “If you can win the morning, you can win the day.”
Mr. Kwik is a Brain Coach that believes you can train your mind to do what you want it to. As a child, he had a brain injury that caused difficulties in school. Eventually, he started to learn about the brain and the ways that you can train your brain. He has gone on to teach others different learning techniques and how to “rebuild” their brains.
According to John Kwik, the morning routines of successful people goes a bit like this. While it seems like it would take about 2 hours to complete this morning routine, John says that this is his ideal day and not everything is done every day.
Billion Dollar Morning Routine Checklist
- Wake up early and recall dreams
- Make your bed to set a tone of success for the day. Which is also a nice thing to return to at the end of the day.
- Drink a tall glass of water along with taking vitamins and probiotics. It is believed that there is a brain-gut connection.
- Breathing technique to the oxygenate body
- Meditate for 15-20 minutes
- 1-2 mins of moving to get your heart rate pumping
- Take a cold shower to reset your nervous system and reduce inflammation.
- Make “brain tea” with herbs that benefit the brain and sip it while journaling.
- Make a To-Do List of 3 work-related and 3 personal goals for the day.
- Create a “To-Feel List” of emotions
- Make a “To-Be List”
- Read for about 20-30 minutes
- Make a Brain smoothie with ingredients good for the brain such as blueberries, avocado, and leafy greens.
- Do brain training in one of the courses on Kwik learning. This step feels very “promotion-y”
- Start the day
I do believe that setting up positivity and a direction for the day is beneficial, but his morning routine does not seem achievable to me. With my current schedule, I would have to wake up around 3 am just to do it all then make it to work on time.
However, some of the things such as making the brain smoothie or tea could be set up from the night before to save time. And the journaling seems like a great idea to me!]
However, let’s take a look at the morning routines of some popular billionaires.
Oprah’s Morning Routine
According to Harper’s Bazaar, Oprah said that growing up in Milwaukee, she went to work at daybreak and returned home 14 hours later when it was dark. She never got to really see the sky and connect with nature as she can now. This is her current morning routine:
- 6:30-7 am: Oprah lives in a home surrounded by nature and over 3,000 trees. Every day, she wakes up peacefully without an alarm and takes in the scenic view.
- 8 am: Brushes teeth then takes her 5 dogs for a walk. After that, she sets her espresso mix to brew while reading 5 cards from the 365 Gathered Truths box.
- 8:30 am: A series of spiritual exercises. After the gathered truths, she uses the “Bowl of Saki” app on the phone. Then, Oprah meditates for about 20 minutes.
- 9 am: One-hour workout which involves low-impact strength training then going for a run.
- 10:30 am: What she does seems to vary. The day she had this interview, she did a trunk show. On Thursdays, she harvests the food in her garden for 40 minutes to an hour.
- 12:30 pm: Lunch with her partner, Stedman. They only eat the food harvested from the garden. If he’s not home, she invites someone she’s interested in talking to or meeting.
- 1:30 pm: She takes care of business such as paying bills, checking in with the office, etc. This is usually done in 2 hours.
- 3:30 pm: Oprah does another form of exercise then goes to her teahouse to drink non-caffeinated tea and read.
- 6 pm: Has dinner then walks the dogs again. If having dinner alone, she usually has a protein shake or soup. Then she enjoys sitting around the fire with family, reading a novel, drinking tea, and sometimes (but rarely) watching tv.
- 9:30 pm: Has a relaxing bath with bubbles, salts, essential oils, etc.
This routine probably isn’t going to help you become a successful billionaire, but it is well deserved after years of working hard to get to this place. Let’s look at a few other morning routines.
Jack Dorsey is the billionaire co-founder and CEO of Twitter. He also founded and is the CEO of Square as well.
- 5- 6 am: Wake up
- Ice bath to shock system and boost mental confidence
- 60 min meditation (repeats in the afternoon)
- 7:30 am: 5-mile walk/jog to work (If working at home for the day, he exercises)
- 9 am: Arrives at work
- 6:30-9 pm: He practices intermittent fasting and has his only meal for the day.
- Wraps up day by reflecting and journaling
Warren Buffet Daily Routine
According to various reports and interviews, this is a day in the life of Warren Buffet:
- 6:45am: Wakes up
- Drinks a can of Coke (He reportedly drinks 5 12-oz cans per day)
- Exercises if time permits
- Has McDonald’s for breakfast
- Reads finance-related materials throughout the day in his office
- 5-6pm: Heads home and might pick up fast food
- 10pm: Goes to bed and reads
- 10:45pm: Goes to Sleep
Jeff Bezos Daily Routine
As read in an article on CNBC, here is the daily routine of Jeff Bezos.
- 6:30 am: Wakes up early (likes to get 8hrs per night)
- Putters around drinking coffee, reading the newspaper, making breakfast, and eating with the family.
- 10 am: Has his first business meeting for the day. He likes to deal with anything that requires a lot of thinking and brain power before lunch.
- Afternoon: Meetings or visiting fulfillment centers.
- 5 pm: Avoids making important decisions this late due to fatigue.
- Business dinners
- 10:30 pm: Bedtime
Did you find this as helpful as I did? I feel as if I know how to start on the path towards success now. Here’s what I took from it:
The morning rituals of billionaires all seem to involve setting up a day of positivity and direction. Whatever creates this motivation to triumph throughout the day is something that you should focus on. Here are some positive financial affirmations that you can try.
In addition to a positive outlook for the day, having a plan for what you want to achieve is also important. I, for one, know that I am more likely to dilly-dally if I don’t have at least a “to-do” list of things that I should be focusing on. You can get a journal to write about your plans and/or reflect on the day’s events.
I also plan to buy a huge calendar so it’s right there looking at me and unavoidable!
Staying healthy is also important; Health is Wealth! If you’ve seen my cheap, healthy grocery list, you know I like to eat well (and for $200 to boot)!